Here are some of our frequently asked questions

Do you use agency staff?

No. We pride ourselves on our regular team of qualified staff. All members of staff are either qualified Nurses or Carers with NVQs or equivalent.

Are there any changes in fees as my relative’s health deteriorates?

We have a full nursing, dementia and palliative facilities at Hill House. To ensure we give the very best quality of care we would first discuss with you any prospect of moving to this area. If appropriate, we can help apply for continuing care funding which is especially for this type of nursing care.

What is included in the cost of the fees?

Our fees are all inclusive, with the exception of hairdressers and beauticians.

How will we be kept up to date with what is happening in our relative’s care?

The Nurses or Manager will arrange a formal review meeting about once a month, but we would be happy to discuss any concerns or changes at any time.

Are the staff trained to care for my relative?

All members of staff are fully trained by qualified trainers (not just through videos). The trainers all have teaching qualifications and only teach their specialist subjects.

How often will my relative be seen by staff?

Your relative will be checked at least every 2 hours by a member of staff day and night, unless they have requested not to be checked during the night. In addition, all bedrooms have nurse call for any assistance, and we have some of the highest staffing levels in the care sector. The drinks rounds are every 2 hours from 6am until 10pm and during the night there are always drinks and food available.

What local authority financial support is available?

A local authority may part-fund 12 weeks of care at the point you decide to sell your house. Local authorities can also offer their own deferred payment arrangements for care. This will typically involve a loan secured on your property. If either of these are of interest, we advise you to speak directly to your local authority.

Can we receive any state benefits to help with the cost of personal care?

Yes, in some situations you may be eligible to claim Attendance Allowance for personal care from 2021 the higher rate is £89.60 and the lower rate is £60.00. To ensure you receive the right advice on eligibility and how to claim, we recommend you talk to Age UK on 0800 055 6112 or visit You can also speak with Citizens Advice on 03454 040506 or visit

What happens if I run out of money?

We require fees to be paid in full throughout your residency. If a person has assets of less than £23,250.00 they have become ‘capital depleted’ and that is the point at which the local authority step in to help fund care. We would advise that you contact your local authority a few months before capital depletion, so it can commence its process. And, that you also advise the Home Manager. It is unlikely that your local authority will fund the full fee and therefore a family top up will be required.

Do I need a Power of Attorney?

This is something you will need to take your own legal advice about. If a resident does not have mental capacity, then they are unable to make decisions for themselves. For either a relative or third party to be able to do this on your behalf, registered Lasting Power of Attorneys for Finance and Health and Welfare are required. Agreeing these in advance is a simple task that can help to relieve stress, and be a prudent way to avoid a court process. For more information, call the Office of the Public Guardian on 0300 456 0300 or visit

A Power of Attorney is not required for Respite Care.